Genealogy has become a hobby for me over the last 10 years. For me, it's like a puzzle, I love fitting the pieces together. But over the years, I've researched a lot that does not pertain to our family lines. Some for extended family, some for close friends, and some because I was trying to rule out lines to figure out where our line went exactly. I do not want these notes on my Heather's Genealogy Notes blog - because they are not our lines. But I do like to share all of my research, in case it benefits others. That is what this blog is for - research I have done that does not apply to our own family lines, but may be helpful for someone else.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Eber Culver 1824 - 1909

"In 1849 he went to California, travelling by ox team, the journey taking four months.  He returned via the Isthmus of Panama, over the pass on foot, and thence down the Chagrees River to the Atlantic sea board." 


Eber Culver
Born 1824
Died 1909
married
Anna Hermance
Born 1826




I have absolutely no (known) connection to this man, but I came across a "book" he wrote (just his memoirs, in a binder) and his story is fascinating.  If you are related, and you can, go to the James V. Brown library in Williamsport PA, and go go the local history room to find this book:


Eber Culver's Personal reminisces of the Gold Rush of 1849 with some history of his buisiness life in williamsport (written January 31 1911)



No comments:

Post a Comment