Genealogy has become a hobby for me over the last 10 years. For me, it's like a puzzle, I love fitting the pieces together. But over the years, I've researched a lot that does not pertain to our family lines. Some for extended family, some for close friends, and some because I was trying to rule out lines to figure out where our line went exactly. I do not want these notes on my Heather's Genealogy Notes blog - because they are not our lines. But I do like to share all of my research, in case it benefits others. That is what this blog is for - research I have done that does not apply to our own family lines, but may be helpful for someone else.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Henry Overdorf


Henry Overdorf
Born
Died
Married
Catherine

Children
John
Elisabeth




Northumberland County Pa                              173                                                  Will Book I Page 173

Henry Oberdorf Will
In the name of God Amen.
I, Henry Overdorf in Haines Township North’d County of Province Pennsylvania am in my full senses in good memory for which I thank God, so make and ordain this last will and Testament on the Seventh day of November in the year of our Lord one thousand one hundred and seventy four, in the following meens.  I recommend my soul in the hands of the Almighty God, and my body to the earth, and also give and bequeath I now­­­­­ ­­­­­ to my loving and worthy wife Catharine her chest and bed & bedstead, the bible her saddle and a hors to ride to the church, and the pewter furniture and the copper kettle and one iron pot.  Also shall she live in this house while she is a widow, and my son John shall give her yearly ten bushels of wheat and take it to the mill and bring the flower in the house again and shall cut her firewood and take it to the hous as much as she will want.  Further should he give her yearly twelve pounds of hecheled flax and twelve pounds of tow [two] and six bushels of turnips and six bushels of patatos and seventy five pounds of  hogs meat and she shall have one cow for her use, which she chuses and my son John shall feed the cow thrue the winter lik his own and in paster, and he shall gave her a part of the garden growths further shall she have her spinning wheel and likewise the real [reel] and the big wheel for her use and the table shall remain in the house and the above mentioned articles shall be her own while she lives as a widow further shall my children  divide the cattle to one like to the other that is to say that my son John and my daughter Elisabeth further shall my don John keep my daughters share of the cattle until she is married towards it he shall have the benefit thereof and she shall have one half ore moyet of the calfe of her cattle fu5ther shall my son John have three hed of hors kind my saddle andall the geers wagon and plow and harrow and my tools and what belongs to the farming besness and the Win [wind] Mill shall be praised and the half of it shall be pay to my daughter Elisabeth but  the rest of the housel furniture shall be praised and hoever will keep it shall give goods to the other in money and further shall my son John shall the one half the land 1150 acres so that the debts thereon may be paid and the other 150 acres he is to have for his share, that is  to say where we live on and afterwards shall he pay two hundred pounds to my daughter Elisabeth that is to say when she is twenty years of age and there shall he gave her for the first payment fifty pounds if he kan without his damage, but if he should suffer damages by it he is to give her only twenty five pounds and then he shall give her twenty five pounds yearly until the rest of the two hundred pounds is paid further shall she have one horse fit to plow with and when she marries also shall my daughter Elisabeth help my don John to work in the time of harvest and hay making  until he is done and at any time when he is in need of her, and ever winter four weeks of spinning tword that shall he son one quarter of an acre of flax every year during that time that she lives   single with him, the above mentioned she is to do so long as she is single, and the rest of the time she is to have for herself.  And he shall give her the boarding while she is cleaning and spinning her flax, so I order herewith my son John and Philip Voneda for my executors I also testify herewith that this is and shall be my last will and testament which I acknowledge with my own hand and seal    this seventeenth day of November the year of our Lord One thousand seven hundred and ninety four Henry Oberdorf .  Witnesses present George Geiswhite  Michael Motz Northumberland County ____  [fst?  Pa?].  Be it remembered that on the seventeenth day of May 1796 Michael Motz & George Geistweed the two subscribing witnesses to the foregoing will who being duly sworn according to the law with that they are personally present and did see Henry Oberdorf the testator sign seal and declare the foregoing writing to he his last will and testament & that at the time of so publishing the said will he was of sound mind and disposing mind and memory. As the deponents do believe according to their knowledge and best of their understanding that the deponents wrote their names as witnesses in the presence of each other and further saith not George Geiswite, Michael Motz  sworn subscribers this same date and year before me.     Jn. Simpsen RegL.

Be it remembered
That on the seventeen the day of May in the year of our lord 1796 the last will and testament of Henry Overdorf deceased written in the German language was duly proved and approved before me of which, the foregoing records is a true translation as on the oath of Jacob Hosterman it is ascertained and the Letters of Testamentary issues in due and common form of ______ to John Overdorf and Philip Voneda, executors there in named on the same   day.  Witness my hand the same day of year Jn. Simpsen RegL    

No comments:

Post a Comment