son of William & Mary (Brown) Coleman ?? (Confirm)
Died 2 Sep 1828
Died March 1859
Joseph Coleman 1796-1873 m. Magdalena Leidig
Rebecca 1798- 1819
Rebecca 1798- 1819
David 1809-1874 m. Rebecca Hess
Jesse Coleman 1813- M. Catherine Kelchner
Abraham 1816- m. Leah
Anna Matilda 1818- m.Richard Kichline
1813 - Son Jesse BornNAME: Jesse Coleman
BIRTH DATE: abt 1813
EVENT TYPE: Confirmation
EVENT DATE: 11 Jun 1831
EVENT PLACE: Easton, Northampton, Pennsylvania, USA
DENOMINATION: United Church of Christ
ORGANIZATION NAME: First United Church of Christ Easton
From Debbie Saltou - I have a little information on Anna Matilda Coleman. She was born 18 Feb 1818 and chr. 21 Apr 1818 in Easton, Northampton, Pennsylvania. The sponsers were George Shade and Elizabeth. This was recorded in "The First Reformed Church of Easton Pennsylvania" She is the daughter of Samuel and Maria (Broeder/Braider) Coleman. They had a large family in Easton. When Samuel died the children were given out to family members or friends to raise. Anna Matilda went to Barnet Odenwelder. I have a copy of the document stating him as her guardian as well as the other children and who their guardians were. Samuel died in 1828. Anna Matilda married Richard Kichline on the 6 May 1849 in Easton. I have one son recorded, his name was Edward Daniel Kichline. Nothing more on him or any other children. I do have more on Samuel and Maria's family. I have done a lot of research on the Coleman's from Easton. There were two large families there but I am not sure if they are related to each other. The other family is Jonathan and Elizabeth (Thron) Coleman. I hope this helps you.
Elizabeth Kolhman Coleman 1787 –
Benjaminn Coleman 1789 – 1810
Sara Coleman 1792 – 1829
Joseph Coleman 1796 – 1873
Rebecca Coleman 1798 – 1819
Johannes Coleman 1800 – 1822
Cornelius Coleman 1802 – 1882
Charles Coleman 1803 – 1884
Samuel Coleman 1805 –
David H. Coleman 1809 – 1874
Maria Coleman 1811 –
Jesse Coleman 1813 –
Abraham Coleman 1816 –
Anna Matilda Coleman 1818 –
David Coleman, 1809-1874
David Coleman was born on month day 1809, at birth place, Pennsylvania, to Samuel Coleman and Maria Broeder (Coleman).
Samuel was born in 1761.
Maria was born in 1774.
David married Rebecca Hess (Coleman) in 1856, at age 46.
Rebecca was born on July 19 1807, in Pennsylvania, USA.
They had 6 children: Mary C. Coleman (Staley), Savilla Coleman and 4 other children.
David passed away of cause of death on month day 1874, at age 65 at death place, Pennsylvania.
He was buried at burial place, Pennsylvania.
Cornelius Coleman, 1802-1883
Cornelius Coleman was born on month day 1802, to Samuel Coleman and Maria Coleman (born Broeder).
Samuel was born in 1761.
Maria was born in 1774.
Cornelius had 13 siblings: Elizabeth (Kolhman) Broeder (born Coleman), Benjaminn Coleman and 11 other siblings.
Cornelius married Unknown Coleman (born Hannah) in 1829, at age 26.
Cornelius passed away in 1883, at age 80 at death place, Pennsylvania.
There are two Joseph Coleman's born in Easton, Northampton, Pa. One is the son of Samuel and Maria (Broeder) Coleman and the other is the son of Jonathan and Elisabeth (Thron) Coleman. Samuel and Maria's son Joseph b. 14 Jun 1796 married Magdalena Leidig on 6 Aug 1815, Easton, Northampton, Pa. (The First Reformed Church of Easton, Pa) They had eleven children that I know of. Joseph and Magdalena are buried in the Zion Cemetery, Fishing Creek, Columbia, Pa.
More Children of Samuel & Maria From:
First Settlers of "The Forks of The Delaware" and Their Descendants, 1760-1852
Name: Samuel Koleman
Birth Date: 14 Mar 1805
Baptism Date: 23 Jun 1805
Sponsor: John Oberly; Phoeby Coleman
Parent: Samuel Coleman
Birth Date: 26 Jul 1798
Baptism Date: 08 Oct 1798
Sponsor: William Janson; consort
Parent: Samuel Coleman
Birth Date: 12 Sep 1800?
Baptism Date: 06 Jan 1800
Sponsor: John Coleman; Sarah
Parent: Samuel Kohlman
Name: Kornilius (Cornelius)
Birth Date: 26 Dec 1802
Baptism Date: 15 May 1803
Sponsor: John Oberly; wife: Elizabeth
Name: David Coleman
Birth Date: 04 May 1809
Baptism Date: 24 Sep 1809
Sponsor: John Seipel; wife: Maria
Name: Abraham Coleman
Birth Date: 01 Apr 1816
Baptism Date: 02 May 1816
Sponsor: Abraham Klauss; Barbara
Name: Anna Matilda Coleman
Birth Date: 02 Feb 1818
Baptism Date: 21 Apr 1818
Sponsor: George Shade; Elisabeth
About First Settlers of "The Forks of The Delaware" and Their Descendants, 1760-1852
This book was initially published as a translation from German of the record books of The First Reformed Church of Easton, Penna, from 1760 to 1852. The First Reformed Church of Easton was founded during the earliest period of the settlement at "The Forks of the Delaware," and has been identified with the borough and city of Easton throughout their entire history. The church building was erected in 1776. It is the only public building in Easton remaining from the days of the Revolution, and for nearly half a century after its erection was the only church building in the town. Its record books, which possess the rare distinction of being continuous and unbroken for nearly a century and a half, are contemporaneous in their origin with the early beginnings of the settlement, and contain information of greatest value to the many thousands of the descendents of "The First Settlers of the Forks of the Delaware"; for the settlement having from the first been prevailingly German, nearly every family in the community, at some time or other in its history, left some trace of itself in the records of this old German Reformed Church. For genealogical purposes it is believed that this publication will prove of great value to many people. On a moderate estimate there are nearly, or quite, 20,000 names recorded in this book. The descendants of the people for whom these names stand, though scattered far and wide, will here find material for their family history which is simply invaluable.
Ezekiel Cole (b. 24 May 1756, d. 10 Jun 1829)
Ezekiel Cole (son of Benjamin Cole and Gertrude Coursen)27 was born 24 May 1756 in Readington, Hunterdon County, NJ, and died 10 Jun 1829 in Sugarloaf Township, Columbia County, PA. He married Rebecca Coleman on 1779, daughter of Samuel Coleman.
Includes NotesNotes for Ezekiel Cole:
An interesting and peculiar characteristic of the population in the extreme northern part of Columbia county is the tenacity with which the descendants of the original settlers have remained in the locality of their birth, while the Quaker settlers in the valley of Roaring creek and at Catawissa, with others of a different nationality and faith north of the Susquehanna, have been supplanted to such an extent that their family names are in many instances no longer represented. The larger proportion of the population of this section is descended from those hardy pioneers who first reclaimed its soil for civilization. The passing years have witnessed the appearance of successive generations of Hesses, Coles, Kiles, Fritzes and McHenrys, apparently well content to remain where their ancestors have lived, and where the circumstances of birth had placed them.
One hundred years ago there lived in Williams township, Northampton county, a wealthy farmer whose name was John J. Godhard. He was an Englishman, a patriot and a member of the Episcopal church. His wife had died previous to the time at which this history commences, leaving her unfortunate husband to support, protect and educate a large family of daughters. If any part of the skill in the culinary arts displayed by their descendants in this section has been inherited from them, it may be correctly inferred that their education was rather useful and serviceable in its character than ornamental and liberal, while the symbol of an unknown quantity, which appears as their respective signatures is an old deed, affords additional evidence to the same effect. The custom of the period, as well as a virtual expediency in this case, constrained the father to consent to early matrimonial alliances for his children, and thus relieve himself in a measure from the exercise of that care and solicitude of which they had always been the recipients, but which could not always be extended in view of the casualties of life. The son-in-law who particularly concerns this sketch was William Hess, while four grand-daughters of Mr. Godhard became respectively the wives of Philip Fritz, Christian Laubach,
Ezekiel Cole and John Kile. With the exception of Mr. Fritz, who was engaged in business in Philadelphia, they were all engaged in farming in Williams and Forks townships, both of which border upon the Delaware river, while the Lehigh forms a mutual boundary. A considerable part of the area of both consists of the "dry lands," which are not remarkably fertile through fairly productive.
There was a strong tide of emigration from this section of country-Berks and Northampton counties in Pennsylvania, and the contiguous portion of New Jersey on the opposite side of the Delaware-to the lower valley of the "North Branch." It was a hazardous undertaking for those who inaugurated this movement; but, relying on the favorable nature of their reports, those who followed could do so with much more certainty and satisfaction. Among this number was John Godhard. He sold his plantation on the Lehigh some time prior to 1789, and invested the proceeds in a tract of much greater extent at the head-waters of Fishing creek. It appears that this purchase was made at the instance of Philip Fritz and William Hess. The former had seriously impaired his health by too close application to business, and wished to seek its recovery by engaging in other pursuits. The latter had a family of twelve sons and six daughters, for whose maintenance the limits of their farm on the "dry lands" seemed far too contracted. There were other members of Mr. Godhard's family and those among his neighbors who were also interest in the new country, the security of which, since the fortunate issue of the late war, seemed to invite immigration. It was prudently resolved to personally investigate the advantages claimed for this region before finally deciding to make it their home. Accordingly Mr. Godhard and those of his family already mentioned by name, with William Coleman, Matthias Rhone, Benjamin Coleman and others of their neighbors, made a journey on horseback to the valley of Fishing creek. They explored that stream from mouth to source, minutely examining the quality of soil, character of the land with regard to water, and the different varieties of timber which constituted its forests. This latter circumstance was regarded as an infallible criterion of the other two, indicating the presence of a fertile or a sterile soil, and affecting the permanent character of the springs of water. The price uniformly asked for lands was two dollars an acre. It is hardly necessary to acquaint the reader with their final decision, which seems unaccountable at the present day. It must be borne in mind, however, that the river could not confer a great degree of benefit as a highway of traffic upon a region for whose productions there was no market; while the canal and railroads which parallel its course had scarcely an existence in the most progressive minds. The best judgment of the prospective settler directed them to the region at present known as Sugarloaf and Benton townships as one of fertile soil, equable climate and abundant game.
The following year (1792 in all probability) the actual immigration occurred. The route pursued was the Susquehanna and Lehigh road from Easton to Nescopeck falls, laid out by Evan Owen in 1787. In their progress up Fishing creek they passed a few houses in the vicinity of Light Street, one at Orangeville, the Klines above the Knob, and Daniel McHenry at Stillwater. William Hess owned a tract of land four miles in length, extending from Coles mills to North mountain. He built a log cabin near a small spring, the site of which is on land in possession of Andrew Laubach. His sons, George, John, Andrew, Tobias, Conrad, Frederick, Henry and Jacob took up their residences in the valley of the creek above their father in the order of their names. John Kile and Ezekiel Cole located in the immediate vicinity of William Hess. Christian Laubach settled at first in Montour township (then Mahoning) prior
to 1795, and about two years thereafter removed to Sugarloaf township. John G. Laubach, his grandson, has succeeded to his land. When Leonard Rupert, the near neighbor of Christian Laubach in Montour township, had returned from assisting to move his effects to the North mountain country, he is reputed as saying that that region was certainly at the end of the world. Whether it was or not, Philip Fritz followed his relatives thither in 1795 and took possession of "Fritz's Hill." Jonathan Robbins arrived in the same year from Bethlehem township, Huntingdon county, New Jersey. He located upon land now owned by David Lewis and planted an orchard at that place with seeds brought from his former home. Two brothers of Mr. Robbins, Daniel and John, also settled in this region. Godfrey Dilts and William Bird, from New Jersey, David and Jacob Herrington from New York, became residents of this section at a later period. James Seward, Jesse Hartman, James A. Pennington, Ezekiel Shultz, William Shultz and others have crossed from Fairmount township, Luzerne county. The population of Sugarloaf in 1800 consisted of the Hesses, Kiles, Laubachs, Robbins and Cole's. Expecting a comparatively small element of the inhabitants the same remark applies equally well to-day.
The North mountain country has always sustained an excellent reputation among the patrons of gun and rod. The Fishing creeks and their numerous tributaries were literally alive with trout, if the stories of old residents may be credited. The successful angler was not, as now, an exceptional personage; nor was the shooting of a deer or bear an unusual occurrence. The chase was pursued by some for adventure and by others for profit, while with the majority of hunters the two motives were combined. An incident of more than ordinary interest at the time occurred in the winter of 1836, and forcibly illustrates a phase of hunting experience of which it can be stated that there has not been a similar occurrence in this region. At this time much of Sugarloaf township was a wilderness, and game of all kinds was plenty. A deep snow fell in February, and after successively thawing and freezing, a crust was formed on the surface, which, as it was not strong enough to bear the weight of either deer or hunters, greatly impeded the progress of the former, while it placed the latter at no serious disadvantage. On a morning in the month of March, John Hoover, John Harp and Joseph Dugan, residents in Luzerne county, crossed over into Columbia on a hunting excursion. They traveled all day, and became so fatigued and exhausted that but one of their number, John Harp, was able to exercise himself sufficiently to keep warm. When he found that his comrades could go no farther he left them to seek assistance and finally reached the house of Robert Moore, to whom he made known their unfortunate condition, but was unable to conduct him to them. Mr. Moore started with food and stimulants and reached the perishing men by following Mr. Harp's tracks. Hoover was able to eat and drink, but Dugan was not. Both were unable to walk, and as Mr. Moore could not carry them himself he was obliged to leave them in order to get assistance. When he returned, Dugan was not able to speak, although he still showed faint signs of life. He expired soon after being removed to Seward's tavern, but his comrade recovered. The place where the men lay in the snow was a few rods west of where Alem White now lives.
An instance of how two planters gratified their feelings of revenge, quite natural under the circumstances, and were well remunerated for so doing, occurred at an earlier date. The object of their vengeance on this occasion was a panther, and this animal in general seemed to have been most destructive in its incursions upon the cattle and sheep of the farmers. Frederick and Henry Hess found one of their cattle mangled by one of these unwelcome visitors, and took
prompt action to punish the marauder. A steel trap was baited, and on the following morning the brothers had the satisfaction of seeing this wily thief successfully ensnared. It was beyond the county line that the trap had been set; in order to secure the bounty of ten dollars, a crotched stick with a noose attached was thrust over the neck of the brute, which dragged the trap, nolens volens, a mile or farther into Sugarloaf township, and was then killed. John McHenry was the most famous representative of that class of hunters who were such as much from practical considerations as from a keen enjoyment of the chase. Born in 1785, he shot his first deer at the age of thirteen years, and his last seventy years afterward, having killed in that time upwards of two-thousand deer and a number of wolves, panthers, bears and smaller game. He took pleasure in recounting the varied experiences of his life, and was urged to comprehend the interest such reminiscences would possess, and only replied that "it might help young hunters." He preferred the "still hunt," and could pursue the game with a stealth, caution, and cunning rarely equaled. The only instance in which he admitted that his life was endangered was in an encounter with a bear at a narrow defile in the mountains. The brute had received the contents of one barrel of his gunk, but was only infuriated by the wound. Rising upon his haunches he advanced upon the hunter in a threatening manner. McHenry took aim with his usual precision, but to his surprise and discomfiture, the gun missed fire. He threw the weapon aside and advance with his tomahawk for a life or death struggle with his dangerous foe. Several well aimed blows dispatched him, and his glossy coat was added to the trophies of his veteran antagonist. The latter, with numerous other professional hunters, spent several months of each year in the woods. They preserved the salable portions of the deer they had killed, usually by suspending them some distance from the ground on stout saplings bent over for that purpose. The saddles were collected and hauled to Philadelphia, where they were converted into money or such supplies as were needed in "back country" households. The mutual confidence placed in each other by these hunters, in thus leaving their game exposed and unprotected for days and weeks, suggests thoughts of a practical honesty which is not universally characteristic of human nature.
The chase did not so completely absorb the energies of the people as to leave no time for the pursuits of a farming community. Agricultural implements were simple in construction, serviceable, durable and easily replaced. It may surprise certain of the present generation to learn that much of the land was first broken with wooden plows, manufactured at the smithy and carpenter shop in the neighborhood. The first step in the transition to the present construction of the plow was the substitution of an iron point for one of wood, and the addition of a coulter to further strengthen the implement. Subsequently the wooden mould board was covered with sheet iron, which was regarded as a great improvement. John Knopsnyder was an expert workman in making plows. His services were not required for pitch-forks and harrows, which every farmer could make for himself. Grain drills and cultivators date their introduction from a comparatively recent period. The general status of Sugarloaf township as a farming region has been greatly elevated with the past few years. A Grange is well sustained, and numbers among its membership the most progressive farmers of the region. Buckwheat is a staple agricultural product, and the flour manufactured here is well-known in various sections of the country.
Cole's mill was built some time in the last decade of the last century. The summer of the previous year was extremely dry. Vegetation suffered and
small streams were literally absorbed by the intense heat. There was at this time a mill on a branch of Huntingdon creek in Luzerne county. The volume of water in that stream was reduced to such an extent that the mill could not be operated. Catawissa thus became the nearest milling point, and continued such during the following winter, which was one of unusual severity. The farmers at the head-waters of Fishing creek resolved to have a mill, and they got it. Four generations of Coles have successively owned the mill of that name, and as many different structures have occupied its original site. Like the Irishman's knife, which received a new handle one year and a new blade the next, but still continued "the same ould knife,", the Colt's mills of to-day are nominally identical with the Cole's mills of nearly a century ago.
A circumstance in this connection illustrates the manner of laying out roads at this period. While Ezekiel Cole was building the framework of his mill with a sound of axe, chisel and hammer, quite unusual in the quiet depths of the forest, a party of hunters from Huntingdon heard the noise from a neighboring mountain (or hill, in deference to popular usage), and descended to ascertain its cause. They were agreeably surprised to see the almost completed structure, and returned in a few weeks with their ox-teams and sled loads of grain. No serious delays occurred in crossing the country, although it was covered with a hitherto unbroken forest. They avoided ravines and water courses as much as possible, as the dense undergrowth and heavy timber there found would have greatly hindered their progress. They ascended hills by the steepest way if that was the most direct route to the summit, as there was then less danger of upsetting, and the view from the eminence thus gained aided in directing their course. The axe was used in removing obstacles where it was absolutely necessary; corduroy roadways were constructed in marshy places; and thus the first road eastward through Sugarloaf was laid out. It need hardly be stated that it was hilly to a remarkable degree. It was traveled extensively for many years, but finally gave place to an easier and more direct route. The ox-teams have also been superseded to a great extent. People usually traveled on horseback to weddings, venison dinners, church, and in attending other social occasions. The carriage of the period would correspond to the spring wagon of the present, excepting the springs, which were "D" shaped, seasoned white oak, and placed directly under the seat. Elliptic Springs were introduced about 1840 and at once became popular. The next addition to the traveling facilities of this region will far surpass anything in that direction that has yet been attempted. When the railroads under construction have been completed, the unrestricted development of farm, forest and mountain, will work such changes as must be relegated to the future historian for discussion.
Herrington's Foundry was established by Newton R. Herrington in August, 1866. This building is 26x50 feet, and they originally made sled shoes and plows. In 1882 a saw-mill was built in connection by the same party, and now they make plows, sled shoes, mill gearing, bells, shingles, etc. The capacity of the shingle and circular saw-mill is 4,000 to 5,000 shingles per day, if kept busy. Here they intend to continue the business in all its branches, and the place will be known as Pioneer Station, Coles Creek.
While the past has witnessed gratifying progress in the material prosperity of the people, their educational advantages have correspondingly increased. Philip Fritz taught the first school in Sugarloaf township in a log building which marked the site of Saint Gabriel's church. The first house for school purposes was built on West creek. The public school system was established in 1836 with John Laubach, William Roberts, Matthias Appelman, Henry H.
Fritz, Samuel Krickbaum and William E. Roberts as directors. Eighty-eight voters were present at the election. Two schools were started, Hess' and Cole's creek. In 1885 there were seven schools in the township.
There are three post-offices in Sugarloaf-Cole's Creek, Guava and Central. Central was established in 1836 under the name of Campbell, through the exertions of a doctor of that name. Upon his removal the office was discontinued until 1850, when Peter Hess was commissioned as postmaster. Joshua B. Hess succeeded to that position in 1861, Henry Hess in 1876, and Elijah Hess in 1886. Cole's Creek was formerly known as Sugarloaf. Ezekiel Cole, Alinas Cole, Benjamin Cole and Norman L. Cole have successively been incumbents as postmasters. Guava was established May 11, 1883, at Andrew Laubach's store. He has continued in charge of the office. These points are on the mail route from Benton to Laporte, Sullivan county.
While the industrial, social and educational character of the people was being formed, religious bodies were assuming a permanent and influential condition. The Sugarloaf "log church" was the only structure of its kind in the two townships during the first fifty years after their settlement. It was begun in 1810 and finished two years later, though not dedicated until July 15, 1828, when Right Reverend Henry M. Onderdonk performed the ceremony of consecration agreeably to the ritual of the Protestant Episcopal church. The following names appear in "An account of the subscribers to the building of Saint Gabriel's church on a settlement had on the 26th day of December, 1812:" Caleb Hopkins, William Wood, Ezekiel Cole, Matthias Rhone, James Peterman, John Keeler, Philip Fritz, Jacob Cough, Conrad Hess, Henry Fritz, Uriah McHenry, John Kile, William Ozborne, George Hess, William Hess, Sr., Daniel Stone, Jacob Hess, John McHenry, Tobias Hess, John Knopsnyder, Andrew Hess, Cornelius Coleman, Frederick Hess, John Roberts, John Hess, Daniel Robbins, Levi Priest, George Rhone, Jonathan Robbins, William Edgar, Benjamin Coleman, Abraham Kline, Sr., Jacob Rine, Conrad Laubach, Peter Yocum, Abraham Whiteman, William Hess, Jr., Samuel Musselman, Paul Hess, Jonathan Robbins, Henry Hess, William Waldron, William Yorks, Christian Pouts, Edward Roberts, Casper Chrisman, Emanuel Whiteman, Daniel McHenry, Jesse Pennington, John Emery, William Willson, Thomas Miller, Frederick Harp, Benjamin Stackhouse, Silas Jackson, John Whiteman and Jacob Whiteman. The structure was built of hewn pine logs, with galleries around three sides of the interior. After being occupied sixty-four years as a place of worship it was burned to the ground on Palm Sunday, April 9, 1876. It was jointly owned by Presbyterians, Episcopalians and Lutherans. The Episcopal church organization was effected July 1, 1812, when Christian Laubach and James Peterman were chosen wardens and William Willson, Jacob Rine, John Roberts and Matthew Rhone were constituted the vestry. Reverends Caleb Hopkins, ------ Eldridge, Benjamin Hutchins, James De Pui, ----- Burns, George C. Deake, ----- Harding and John Rockwell have been connected with this church as regular pastors. On Easter Monday, April 17, 1876, a meeting of the congregation was held in the grove to consider ways and means for the rebuilding of Saint Gabriel's. Reverend John Hewitt of Bloomsburg presided, and Jacob H. Fritz was chosen secretary. On motion Thomas B. Cole, John Moore, Montgomery Cole, Benjamin Cole and John Swartwout were constituted a building committee. The corner-stone of the new structure was laid May 23, 1876. A number of clergymen was present, and Colonel John G. Freeze delivered an eloquent address. The dedication occurred May 1, 1877, Bishop Howe officiating. Reverend T. F. Caskey, now in charge of the American chapel, Dresden, preached on this occasion. Saint Gabriel's is the only Protestant Episcopal parish within a radius of twenty miles.
Three other denominations, the Church of Christ (Disciples), Methodist Episcopal and Methodist Protestant are also represented. Elders John Ellis, J. J. Harvey and John Sutton introduced the doctrines of the sect first mentioned in the autumn of 1836, when they held a protracted meeting in Hess' school-house. It resulted in a number of conversions; four persons, John Kile, Richard Kile, Rebecca Cole and Sarah Steadman were baptized near Guava on the 8th day of December, 1836. These were the first accessions to this faith in Columbia county.
In 1855 Elijah Fulmer, a local Methodist Episcopal preacher, conducted a revival at the School-house near Central post-office. A number of persons were converted and a class was formed. Ten years later, during the pastorate of the Reverend John A. DeMoyer at Berwick, he conducted a protracted effort, and at its close began to agitate the building of a church. This was forthwith accomplished, and the church named Simpson chapel, in honor of Bishop Simpson. The appointment at this place is filled by the resident pastor at Benton. A second class was formed some time since, and with the aid of other persons in the neighborhood, the "Lower Hess" church was built. It is now the place of worship of a flourishing Methodist Protestant society.
The necessity for separate political organization, and the obvious convenience and advantage of such an arrangement became apparent with the gradual but permanent increase of the population. In April 1812, a petition was laid before the court requesting a division of Fishingcreek township. It was granted and the name "Harrison" conferred upon the new division by authority of the court. The record does not show in what manner this was supplanted by "Sugarloaf," although it is obvious that the latter was suggested from an important natural product of the region. The record of elections begins as follows: "October 1, 1813-This day a meeting was held at the house of Ezekiel Cole in and for this township of Sugarloaf for the purpose of voting for by ballot, agreeably to law, the several township officers, to wit-one assessor and two assistant assessors; nineteen voters present; the candidates were as follows: for assessor, Philip Fritz, John Keeler, Alexander Colley and Matthias Rhone. Philip Fritz was clerk of the meeting. At the second election, March 18, 1814, twenty one individuals availed themselves of the highest prerogative of citizenship. The several candidates were, for constable, John Kile and Daniel Robbins; for auditors, Philip Fritz, Christian Laubach, James Peterman and Alexander Colley; for supervisors, Philip Fritz and William Willson; for overseers of the poor, John Roberts and Conrad Hess; for fence viewers, Jacob Rine and William Hess, Jr.,; for judges of the meeting, Alexander Colley and Christian Laubach. There were at least fourteen office holders, two thirds of the number of voters. This was certainly the golden age with aspirants for political honors and emoluments in this section.
The Sugarloaf Township history was transcribed by Rosana Whitenight.
This page is maintained by Terri Cook - as part of the USGenWeb Project.
More About Ezekiel Cole:
Date born 2: 24 May 1756, Readington, Hunterdon, New Jersey, USA.
Burial: 10 Jun 1829, Cole's Creek Cemetery, St. Gabriel Church, Sugarloaf, Columbia, PA.
Died 2: 10 Jun 1829, Easton, Columbia, Pennsylvania, USA.
More About Ezekiel Cole and Rebecca Coleman:
Children of Ezekiel Cole and Rebecca Coleman are:
+Charity Cole, b. 06 Jun 1780, Bethlehem Township, Northampton County, PA28, d. date unknown.
Sarah Cole, b. 19 Aug 1782, d. date unknown.
Benjamin Cole, b. 06 Sep 1786, d. date unknown.
Mary Cole, b. 08 Sep, d. date unknown.
Joseph Cole, b. 30 Jul 1789, d. date unknown.