Genealogy has become a hobby for me over the last 10 years. For me, it's like a puzzle, I love fitting the pieces together. But over the years, I've researched a lot that does not pertain to our family lines. Some for extended family, some for close friends, and some because I was trying to rule out lines to figure out where our line went exactly. I do not want these notes on my Heather's Genealogy Notes blog - because they are not our lines. But I do like to share all of my research, in case it benefits others. That is what this blog is for - research I have done that does not apply to our own family lines, but may be helpful for someone else.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Elizabeth Geise, Denied Burial In Disputed Cemetery


Denied Burial In Disputed Cemetery
--------------------------------
Box intended to hold snyder co. woman's coffin taken from grave and earth replaced
--------------------------------

Selinsgrove Pa, April 17 - Elizabeth Geise, and aged blind woman who lived in Kratzerville this county, was buried today notwithstanding the fact that the ---------- refused sepulcher in her family burying ground.

The Lutheran and Reformed congregation of Kratzerville each build a handsome ---- edifice, although formerly they worshiped in the Union church.

After the separation each congregation claimed the right to to bury its dead in the old cemetery and the matter has been one of stern contention. It is declared that members of the Reformed congregation were seen in the center late Saturday night with shovels and on Sunday morning the ---- revealed the fact that rough ----- which had been placed in the grave newly made for Mrs Geises body had been taken out, thrown into the public street, the grave filled up and the gateway to the cemetery chained and locked.

Today anew grave was dug in the Lutheran Cemetery and the body interred. It is said legal proceedings will be instituted in a few days.



No comments:

Post a Comment